December 2nd, 2014:
The Walkie Talkie project was presented at the Ministerio de
Economía y Competitividad.
- Last December the 2nd, the Walkie Talkie Project was selected to be presented at the Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad to the ICT committee and some invited industries in order to present their technical advancement as well as to discuss transfer opportunities to industry. It was nice to be there presenting the project’s results, and receiving the feedback both from both the ICT national committee as well as some of the more relevant Spanish companies such as Indra and Abengoa.
November 12th - 14th, 2014:
The GRC Group attended to the Wireless Days Conference in Rio de
- Juan-Carlos Cano and Miguel Báguena (PhD Student) attended to the Wireless Days 2014 Conference, which was held in the outstanding city of Rio de Janeiro, in particular at the world famous Copacabana beach. At the Conference we presented two papers at the main conference. It is really refreshing to attend a conference with students from whom one always can enjoy, teach and learn life experiences. It was also a pleasure to expend some time with my good friend professor Floriano from Calabria University. At the same time as a member of the steering committee of Wireless Days Conference, we decided that next Wireless Days edition will be held in Toulouse, France, organized by my good friend professor Thierry Gayraud. We enjoy the city, the food, and of course COPACABANA beach!!!
October 31st, 2014:
GRC Group visits The Traffic Management Center of Valencia,
- The The GRC visits the Traffic Management Center of Valencia, to discuss possible collaborations with the city of Valencia in the area of Smartcity and Intelligent Traffic Systems.
September 21st - 24th, 2014:
Luzuriaga (Phd student) attended to the IDCS2014 Conference, in
- Jorge Luzuriaga (Phd student) attended to the IDCS2014 Conference, which was held between Sept 21 - Sept 24, 2014 in Amantea (Tyrrhenian stretch of coast near Cosenza) Region Calabria - Italy. Presenting the paper: "Testing AMQP Protocol on Unstable and Mobile Networks" The seventh edition IDCS was organized by the University of Calabria (Unical), Department of Informatics, Modeling, Electronics and Systems (DIMES). Thanks to the organizers for the good organization of this event.
September 17th - 19th, 2014:
The GRC Group attended to the XXV Jornadas de Paralelismo in Valladolid.
- The GRC Group attended to the “Jornadas de Paralelismo 2014”, which took place in Valladolid. As every year we enjoyed quite a lot with our young but promising research students, and meeting with colleagues form others Spanish University. Our group presented our last research finding under the Walkie Talkie project related to the area of Intelligent Transport System. We also had time to enjoy Valladolid, The city, museums and its gastronomy, specially Lechazo.
September 2nd, 2014:
Javier barrachina PhD gets attention from the media.
- Diario de Teruel published an article presenting the main ideas proposed by Javier Barrachina in its PhD trying to improve the deployment of emergency services when a traffic accident occurs.
August 15th, 2014:
The GRC Group gets attention from the media.
- The GRC group developed a novel approach which combines
Evolution Strategies and Vehicular communication to estimate
accident severity from onboard. The Systems gets attention from
- In ABC ... http://www.abc.es/local-comunidad-valenciana/20140814/abci-sistema-detectar-accidentes-201408141211.html
- At the Radio Nacional de España here
June 11th - 13th, 2014:
The GRC Group attended to the “Jornadas Europeas en Movilidad
Urbana” in Madrid.
- Juan-Carlos Cano attended to the Jornadas Europeas en Movilidad Urbana organized by the Dirección General de Tráfico, Spain where experts from industry, academia, and Spanish and European government present current initiatives as well as future challenges in areas related to ITS, urban mobility, and Smart Cities. The Jornadas was inagurated by Rafael Catalá, “Secretario de Estado de Infraestructura Transporte y Vivienda del Ministerio de Fomento.
April 2th - 4th, 2014:
Pietro Manzoni attended to the 11th IEEE/IFIP Annual Conference on
Wireless On-demand Network Systems and Services
(WONS 2014) in Obergurgl, Austria.
- Pietro Manzoni attended to the WONS 2014 Conference, which was held in the beautiful village in the Alps of Obergurgl. At the Conference he presented 1 papers at the main conference. IEEE/IFIP WONS has established itself as a high-quality forum to address these challenges in the context of a conference that is rich in intense interactions and based on innovative contributions by experts in the field.
April 5th - 10th, 2014:
The GRC Group attended to the WCNC Conference in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Juan-Carlos Cano and Alvaro Torres (PhD Student) attended to the WCNC 2014 Conference, which was held in the beautiful city of Istambul. At the Conference they presented 2 papers at the main conference. It is really refreshing to attend a conference with students from whom one always can enjoy, teach and learn life experiences. It was also a pleasure to expend some time with my good friend professor D. Kim from South Korea. Good trip to Istanbul city!!! We enjoy the old city: Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the Great Bazaar and of course the food: Fresh fish, kebap, Efes bear, and baghlava…
March 24, 2014:
Invited Talk on Vehicular Telecommunication Systems, DTN and Social Networking
- Professors Floriano De Rango and Peppino Fazio where invited by
the GRC group in the context of the Walkie Talkie Project to give
a Seminar in Vehicual Networking, Delay Tolerant and Social
- Prof. Floriano founded a spin-off company (Spintel s.r.l.) in the smart control tools design field for energy efficiency for Smart Building and Cities and Internet of Things (IoT) that won some awards in International Competitions such as the Intel Business Challenge award. His company has been ranked in the first 20 innovative start-up in Europe (IBCE 2013). Homepage: http://culture.deis.unical.it/derango; e-mail: email@example.com
- Peppino Fazio received the degree in computer science engineering in May 2004. In January he was awarded a PhD in Electronics and Communications Engineering from the University of Calabria. He is currently an assistant professor at DIMES Department of University of Calabria. Homepage: http://culture.deis.unical.it/fazio; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
January 28, 2014:
The GRC Group visited the company Transport Sanitari de Catalunya
- Juan-Carlos Cano and Francisco Martínez, visited the company TSC, Transport Sanitari de Cataluña http://www.tscambulancies.com/es/. TSC is a leading medical transport company operating in Catalonia since the year 2000. TSC works closely with both public and private Healthcare Organizations in providing services, thereby giving coverage to more than 3 million citizens. TSC was interested in cooperate with our group in providing Intelligent Transport Services oriented to both (a) Emergency Medical Transport and (b) Non-Emergency Medical transport. They were interested in our work from the results presented in our article: “Reducing Emergence Services Arrival Time by Using Vehicular Communications and Evolution Strategies” which is directly related to our Walkie-Talkie project. We are now in the process of starting our collaboration where we put the knowledge and they provides resources in term of ambulances as well as financial resources to support our research as well as our pHD students.
November 13th - 15th, 2013:
The GRC Group organized the 6th Edition of the IEEE/IFIP Wireless Days 2013 Conference in Valencia, Spain
- Juan-Carlos Cano, The General Chair of Wireless Days 2013, headed the organization of the 6th IFIP/IEEE Wireless Days Conference (WDays 2013) which took place in the beautiful city of Valencia, Spain, November 13th -15th. The WD’13 Technical Program Committee received 184 technical paper submissions from 30 different countries: Algeria, Austria, Brazil, Canada, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Korea, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Mexico, Morocco, Pakistan, Portugal, Senegal, Serbia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, USA, and Venezuela. From these 184 submissions, 63 full papers were selected for presentation at the 2013 edition in Valencia. The overall acceptance ratio was 34.24%. The conference featured five distinguished keynote speakers that are international leaders and pioneers in their respective research areas, both from academia and industry. Prof. C-K. Toh, Honor Chair Professor in Tsinghua University, Dr. Lukas Kencl, Director of the CTU-Ericsson-Vodafone Research and Development Centre in Prague; Prof. Laura Marie Feeney, researcher at the Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Dr. David Gascón, Libelium’s Co-Founder and Chief Technical Officer, and finally Dr. John Baekelmans, Chief Technology Officer for Cisco.
November 12th, 2013:
Walkie Talkie Project Coordination meeting in Valencia
- November 12th 2013 took place the second year coordination meeting related to the activities involved within the Walkie Talkie project. In the project, sponsored by the “Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad” are involved three different Universities from Spain: Universitat Politècnica de València, Universidad Miguel Hernández and Universidad de Murcia. The project is lead by professors Juan-Carlos Cano, Manuel Pérez and Antonio Skarmeta and it deals with the design, evaluation and implementation of novel solutions and services related with Intelligent Transportation Systems. The project is obtaining quite interesting results in term of scientific objectives as well as technological ones.
More info here...
November 3st - 8th, 2013:
The GRC Group attended to the MSWIM Conference in Barcelona,
- November 3st – 8th, 2013, Juan-Carlos Cano attended to the MSWIM 2013 Conference, which was held in the beautiful city of Barcelona. At the Conference Juan Carlos and Francisco Martínez from the GRC group presented 2 papers at the main conference and a paper at the DIVANET workshop. In addition, Juan-Carlos Cano was the General Chair of the 8-th ACM PM2HW2N 2013 Workshop. I really enjoyed the conference as well as sharing time with my good friend Paco. We met there many professors such as prof. Richard Pazzi, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Canada, and prof. Teruo Higashino from Japan, my colleague at the ITS IEEE Technical committee. It was also a pleasure to expend some time with my PhD. Student Jose Cano, who graduated in 2010 and is now in Barcelona. Good trip to Barcelona city!!!
More info here...
October 28th - 24th, 2013:
The GRC Group attended to the LCN 2013 Conference in Sydney,
- Juan-Carlos Cano attended to the LCN 2013 Conference Conference, which was held in the beautiful city of Sydney. At the Conference Juan Carlos presented a Paper and a poster at the main LCN track as well as a Demo related to the DrivingStyle application developed at the GRC group. It was a pleasure to meet some well know researcher there such as Prof. Damla Turgut, University of Central Florida, USA and Anura Jayasumana, Colorado State University, USA. I also met some researchers from Spain, Joan Borrell from Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, and Sebastia Galmes from Universidad Islas Baleares. it was more that a pleasure to share with all the experiences and research. I enjoyed Sydney gastronomy, culture and sightseeing. I visited the famous Opera House, Harbour Bridge and Bondi Beach, and I had the opportunity to taste Kangaroo meat. To remember my visit it was mandatory to buy the Cocodrilo Dundee” hat! Amazing trip to Antipodes.
October 6th - 9th, 2013:
Manuel Fogue, awarded with the Second place of the prestigious
IEEE ITSS Best Ph.D. Dissertation Awards
- Manuel Fogué, Piedad Garrido, and Francisco J. Martínez attended to the ITSC 2013 Conference, which was held in the amazing and historical Steigenbergen Kurhaus Hotel located in the Hague, the Netherlands. The IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems is the annual flagship conference of the IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society. In particular, the GRC Members attended to the Conference since Manuel was awarded with the Second place of the prestigious IEEE ITSS Best Ph.D. Dissertation Awards. His advisors (Piedad and Francisco) and all the GRC members are really proud of this amazing prize. Congrats Manolo!
September 27th, 2013:
Manuel Serrat Presented with honors his PhD
- September 27th, 2013 Manuel Serrat defended his PhD thesis entitled “COOPERATION TECHNIQUES TO IMPROVE PEER-TO-PEER WIRELESS NETWORKS SECURITY”. The thesis, supervised by professors D. Enrique Hernandez and D. Juan Carlos Cano, proposes a novel analytical model to improve selfishness detection in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. After the defense we enjoyed a magnificent lunch at the “Alquería del Pi” tasting their rice with shrimp and season mushrooms, and sharing plenty of anecdotes of Manuel’s thesis work. It was a real pleasure meeting again our colleagues Monica Aguilar from the UPC, Manuel Pérez from UMH, and Francisco Martinez from UNIZAR as members of the evaluation committee. Congratulations Manuel!
September 18th - 20th, 2013:
The GRC Group attended to the XXIV Jornadas de Paralelismo in Madrid.
- The GRC Group attended to the “Jornadas de Paralelismo 2013”, which took place under the umbrella of “Congreso Español de Informática CEDI“, in Madrid. As every year we enjoyed quite a lot with our young but promising research students, and meeting with colleagues form others Spanish University. Our group presented our last research finding under the Walkie Talkie project related to the area of Intelligent Transport System. We also had time to enjoy Madrid, The Prado Museum and its Gastronomy. We couldn’t miss a “Relaxing Café Con Leche in Plaza Mayor.
September 17th, 2013:
The GRC Group gets attention from the media.
- The GRC group developed a novel approach which combines
Evolution Strategies and Vehicular communication which is able to
reduce the emergency services arrival time, and avoids traffic
jams when an accident occurs. The Systems gets attention from the
- In ABC ... http://www.abc.es/local-comunidad-valenciana/20130917/abci-algoritmo-permite-reducir-tiempo-201309171206.html
- at the UPV ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xiw4qxJ8XzI
- You can see a video
July 15th, 2013:
The GRC Group visited the Université de Technologie de Compiègne and the CNRS .
- On july 15th, Pietro Manzoni visited the Heudiasyc (HEUristique et DIAgnostic des SYstèmes Complexes) laboratory, a joint research unit between the Université de Technologie de Compiègne and the CNRS. He contacted the group of Bertrand Ducourthial, the person in charge of the research on dynamic ad hoc networks specifically applied to inter-vehicles networks.