November 8, 2017:
Prof. Carlos T. Calafate gives keynote talk on multicopter applications @ ICCNA 2017.
- Prof. Carlos Tavares Calafate gave a Keynote Speech at the ICCNA 2017 event
November 5-11, 2017:
Prof. Carlos T. Calafate visits the Technological Institute of Mexicali, Mexico.
- Prof. Carlos Tavares Calafate was invited by the Technological Institute of Mexicali, Mexico, in the scope of the new cooperation agreement between the UPV and the ITM. The activities undertaken during this visit to ITM included: (i) meeting with Master and Doctoral students of ITM. (ii) Organization of the ICCNA 2017 event. (iii) Presentation of the exchange agreement between UPV and ITM. (iv) Visit to Torolab/La Granja @ Tijuana, Mexico.
October 26, 2017:
Prof. Carlos T. Calafate teaches seminar on UAVs @ U. Miguel Hernandez, Elche.
- Prof. Carlos Tavares Calafate was invited by the GATCOM group at UMH to teach a seminar on UAV applications to the students of the Master on Telecommunications.
September 19-22, 2017:
The GRC Group attended to the 2017 Jornadas Sarteco in Málaga.
- The GRC Group attended to the “Jornadas Sarteco 2017”, which took place in Málaga. As every year we enjoyed quite a lot with our young and promising research students, and meeting with colleagues from other Spanish University. Our group presented our last research finding under the Smart@CarPhone project related to the area of Intelligent Transport System. We also had time to enjoy Málaga, The city, its monuments, the University and its gastronomy. See all you next year in Teruel!!!!
June 1, 2017:
Javier Meseguer defended his Ph.D. thesis.
- June 1, 2017, Javier Meseguer succesfully defended his Ph.D. thesis entitled "A novel framework to promote eco-driving through smartphone-vehicle integration", and supervised by Prof. Juan-Carlos Cano and Prof. Carlos Calafate. The thesis evaluation committee was the following: Enrique Orallo (President), Ivan Lequerica (Secretary), and Manuel Perez Malumbres (Vocal). The thesis received the highest score (Cum Laude). Congratulations Javier!!
May 19-21, 2017:
Pietro Manzoni visited Prof. Claudio Palazzi of the University of Padova, Italy.
- May 19-21, 2017: Porf. Pietro Manzoni was visiting the group of Prof. Claudio Palazzi at the Università degli Studi di Padova to define and plan collaborations in the scope of his national Project of the Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad, Programa Estatal de Investigación, Desarrollo e Innovación Orientada a los Retos de la Sociedad, Proyectos I+D+I 2014}, Spain, Grant TEC2014-52690-R. During his visit, Prof. Manzoni gave a lecture on Internet of Things in Connected Transport within the class of Mobile Programming.
May 16-18, 2017:
Pietro Manzoni attended to the ICNSC 2017 Conference in Calabria, Italy.
- May 16-18, 2017, Prof. Pietro Manzoni attended to the 14th IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control in Calabria, Italy. Pietro Manzoni presented the paper entitled "Evaluating the use of sub-gigahertz wireless technologies to improve message delivery in opportunistic networks". This conference provides a remarkable opportunity for the academic and industrial communities to address new challenges and share solutions, and discuss future research directions. It features plenary speeches, panel sessions, tutorials, workshops, interactive sessions, and invited/special sessions.
May 13-17, 2017:
Juan-Carlos Cano, and Carlos Calafate visited University Amar Telidji in the city of Laghouat in Algeria to participate in Wireless Days 2017 Symposium.
- May 13th – 17st, 2017, Prof. Juan-Carlos Cano, Prof. Carlos Calafate were invited by Professor Nasreddine Lagraa and professor Chaker Abdelaziz Kerracheour to participate in the Wireless Days Symposium in the beautiful city of Laghouat, where we presented two different Keynotes dealing with "Introduction to Multicopter" and "Intelligent Transport Systems, an ICT perspective" both topics related to our Smar@CarPhone research project. We also attended to many presentation both by Algerian professors and PhD students where we strengthened our research collaborations. We also had the opportunity to live during few days a real Algerian experience, enjoying their city, culture and history. It was a very worthy experience.
March 28-31, 2017:
Juan-Carlos Cano, Carlos Calafate and Vicente Torres attended the Wireless Days 2017 Conference in Porto, Portugal.
- March 28th – 31st, 2017, Prof. Juan-Carlos Cano, Prof. Carlos Calafate and PhD student Vicente Torres attended the Wireless Days 2017 Conference, which was held in Porto, Portugal. At the Conference they presented three papers related with the SmartCarPhone project that received great attention. We enjoyed meeting with good friends and colleagues working in our same research area, sharing ideas and looking for new research collaboration opportunities. We not only enjoyed the conference and the excellent speakers but also the beautiful city of Porto, its Porto wine and pastry shops, as well as its Fado music.
February 10, 2017:
GRC Researchers successfully tested inter-UAV communications in the 5.8 GHz band
- On February 10, 2017, researchers Carlos Calafate, Francisco Fabra, Oscar Alvear and Willian Zamora went to the VC & RC flight club in Casinos to perform some tests regarding inter-UAV communications in the 5.8 GHz band. In this preliminary phase distances up to 250 meters were successfully tested.
December 1-3, 2016:
Juan-Carlos Cano attended to the Goodtech 2016 Conference 2016 in Venice, Italy, where we received the Best Paper Award!!
- December 1st - 3rd, 2016, Prof. Juan-Carlos Cano attended to The 2nd EAI International Conference on Smart Objects and Technologies for Social Good, Goodtechs 2016, which was held in the beautiful city of Venice. We presented the paper entitled "DrivingStyles: Assesing the Correlation of Driving Behavior with Heart Rate Changes". It was a real pleasure to attend to present our work moreover since we were awarded with the Best Paper Award. It was really nice to meet some good friends as Saadi Boujit and Nadjib Achir. We not only enjoyed the conference and the excellent speakers but also the impressively beautiful city of Venice.
October 2-7, 2016:
Juan-Carlos Cano and Pietro Manzoni attended to the Mobicom 2016 Conference in New York.
- October 2nd – 7th, 2016, Prof. Juan-Carlos Cano and Pietro Manzoni attended to the Mobicom 2016 Conference, which was held in New York. Pietro Manzoni organized the 2nd Workshop on Experiences with Design and Implementation of Smart Objects (SMARTOBJECTS'16) where they presented the paper entitled "Determining The Relative Position Of Vehicles Considering Bidirectional Traffic Scenarios In VANETS". It was a real pleasure to attend to present our work in the most under the MobiCom umbrella, since it is considered as the most important conference dealing with Communications and Networks all over the world. We not only enjoyed the conference and the excellent speakers but also the impressively beautiful city of New York.
September 14-16, 2016:
The GRC Group attended to the 2016 Jornadas Sarteco in Salamanca.
- The GRC Group attended to the “Jornadas Sarteco 2016”, which took place in Salamanca. As every year we enjoyed quite a lot with our young but promising research students, and meeting with colleagues form others Spanish University. Our group presented our last research finding under the Smart@CarPhone project related to the area of Intelligent Transport System. We also had time to enjoy Salamanca, The city, its Cathedral, the University and its gastronomy. This year the Jornadas Sarteco was organized together with CEDI 2016 (Congreso Español de Informática) which met together nearly 1000 Informática professors and students in Salamanca.
September 8th, 2016:
Research Assistant Professors Johan Marquez and Nicola Marchetti, from Trinity College University, visited the GRC Group.
- September 8th, 2016 Professors Johan Marquez and Nicola Marchetti from the CONNECT Centre for Future Networks and Communications (formerly CTVR) at Trinity College Dublin (TCD), Ireland, visited our GRC group in the context of the Smart@CarPhone project where they offered us two talks related to Ephemeral Wireless Networks and 5G Communication. We hope that we will be able o collaborate in the near future!!!
September 4, 2016:
Carlos Calafate and Francisco Martínez organized the VENITS 2016 workshop, co-located with IEEE PIMRC 2016.
- Researchers from different countries reunited at Valencia to attend the VENITS 2016 workshop in order to present their latest research results in Vehicular Networking.
July 1, 2016:
EcoSensor appeared in TVE news and Flash I+D
- Project leader Carlos Tavares Calafate and PhD students Oscar Alvear and Willian Zamora appeared on TVE regional news and Flash I+D to present the EcoSensor platform.
March to June , 2016:
Research internship of PhD candidate Jorge Eloy Luzuiaga
- PhD candidate Jorge Eloy did a research internship from March to June in the Telecommunications/ICT4D of The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics in Triestre, Italy, under the supervision of Marco Zennaro working in the area of mproving the efficiency of MQTT for distributing data obtained from sensors for IoT contexts. This internship was done under the context of the SmartCarPhone project.
June 26-30, 2016:
Juan-Carlos Cano attended to the ISCC 2016 Conference in Messina, Sicily, Italy.
- June 26th – 30th, 2016, Prof. Juan-Carlos Cano attended to the ISCC 2016 Conference, which was held in the beautiful city of Messina, Cicily, Italy. At the Conference we presented a collaborative paper with our Colleagues from Amazonas Federal University of Brasil, entitled: FSR: Friendship and Selfishness Routing for Delay Tolerant Networks. It was a pleasure to meet there some well researchers from Messina as prof. Massimo Villari, General Chair of the conference. I really enjoyed the conference as well as Messina area.
June 27, 2016:
Interview @ CV Radio
- Prof. Carlos Tavares Calafate was interviewed at a local radio station to present the EcoSensor solution.
- •June 21th – 24th, 2016, Oscar Alvear A. attended to the Seventeen IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM), which was held in city of Coimbra, Portugal home to the oldest university in Portugal and one of the oldest in the world, dating back from 1290. At the Conference he presented a paper, entitled: EcoSensor: Monitoring Environmental Pollution Using Mobile Sensors.
- EcoSensor appeared in UPV news, and in both national and international press.
- Our DrivingStyle app had appeared in the March issue, 2016 of the Telefónica Shareholders magazine.
- Researchers Javier Meseguer, Carlos Calafate and Juan Carlos Cano made a public presentation of the new version of DrivingStyles, which now includes supports for smartwatches and chest strap heart rate monitors, in addition to fuel consumption monitoring. The application also supports real-time alerts in the presence of agressive driving styles.
- News @ Levante TV: Listen on Youtube
- Radio interview @ Radio Nacional: Listen on Youtube
- Radio interview @ Radio Manises: Listen on Youtube
- More information:
DGT - Tráfico y Seguridad Vial
El Mundo - Marca
Diario Económico Valenciano
- Carlos Calafate appeared on the UPV TV news presenting the new version of DrivingStyles, an application to monitor drivers to assess their driving efficiency. The new version provides real-time warning about aggressive driving patterns, monitors the driver's heart rate, and is fully compatible with smartwatches. For more details see the DrivingStyles website.
- Carlos Calafate visited the University of Padua, Italy, as invited lecturer for the Wireless Networks course, where he taught a unit dedicated to "ITS and Vehicular Networking", as well as seminar "Using Mobile Sensors for Estimating Citywide Pollution Levels".
- Pietro Manzoni attended the
IEEE CCNC 2016 conference where he was the TPC vice-chair. He also presented two papers from members of the group.
The CCNC conference (IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference), is sponsored by IEEE Communications Society and is a major annual international conference organized with the objective of bringing together researchers, developers, and practitioners from academia and industry working in all areas of consumer communications and networking.
IEEE CCNC was organized specifically to help the consumer electronics industry drive the advance of the numerous wireless and wireline communications technologies that will one day provide on-demand access to both entertainment and information anytime, anywhere, regardless of time or location. This includes a detailed analysis of nearly every technological area ranging from cognitive and peer-to-peer networking to the designer services and tools used to ensure ease-of-use, security and stunning interactivity.
IEEE CCNC 2016 presented the latest developments and technical solutions in the areas of home networking, consumer networking, enabling technologies (such as middleware) and novel applications and services. The conference included a peer-reviewed program of technical sessions, special sessions, business application sessions, tutorials, and demonstration sessions.
- From December 11-13, 2015, Prof. Carlos T. Calafate went to Brusels (Belgium) to present paper "Mobile Pollution Data Sensing Using UAVs". In addition, he was invited to chair session "Systems and Applications III", where another paper on UAVs was presented by Prof. Karin Anna Hummel.
- December 1st – 4th, 2015, PhD Annette Bohm visited our GRC group to give a talk about Real-Time Communication Support for Cooperative Traffic Safety Applications, and possible research collaboration in the area of Intelligent Transportation Systems. She also gave our Master Students a quite interesting talk in the area of Inter-vehicular Communication.
- Last November, 30th, Juan Carlos Cano was invited by Javier Peris at Gestiona Radio to speak about Technology and Science in his radio program tecnologiaysentidocomun.com. It was a pleasure to share nearly two hours with such a profesional team!
- October 26th – 29th, 2015, Prof. Juan-Carlos Cano and PhD. Student Subhadeep Patra attended to the LCN 2015 Conference, which was held in the beautiful city of ClearWater Beach, Florida. At the Conference we presented a Paper at the main LCN track as well as a Demo related to our Overtaking EYE application developed by Subhadeep at the GRC group. It was a pleasure to meet some well know researcher there such as Prof. Damla Turgut, University of Central Florida, USA and to attend the keynote speech of the inventor of Ethernet and ether-radio (wifi) Bob Metcalfe. We enjoyed the awesome beach as well as Tampa Bay area.
- Pietro Manzoni, in collaboration with other members of the GRC group and Prof. Claudio Palazzi and Ombretta Gaggi of the University of Padova (Italy), organized GOODTECHS, a Conference on Smart Objects and Technologies for Social Good inside the EAI IOT360 Event. GOODTECHS was focussed on experiences with the design, implementation, deployment, operation and evaluation of smart objects and technologies for social good. Clearly, the conference were not considering only the so called first world as the scenario for this evolution, but it also involved those areas where ICT is currently less widespread, hoping that it may represent a societal development opportunity rather than a source for further divide.
- The GRC Group attended to the “Jornadas de Paralelismo 2015”, which took place in Cordoba. As every year we enjoyed quite a lot with our young but promising research students, and meeting with colleagues form others Spanish University. Our group presented our last research finding under the Smart@CarPhone project related to the area of Intelligent Transport System. We also had time to enjoy Cordoba, The city, its Mezquita, well "La Santa Iglesia Catedral de Cordoba:)) and its gastronomy.
- Jorge Luzuriaga (PhD student) attended to the Internet Technologies and Applications International Conference (ITA 15) in Wrexham, North Wales, UK. From Tuesday 8 up to Friday 11 of September 2015. He presented the paper "Handling Mobility in IoT applications using the MQTT protocol" at the main conference in the Networking stream. We thank, the Local Organisers for the hard work made during the conference and we wish the best for the next editions of this excellent conference.
- Main IPs of the Smart@CarPhone project visited a vehicle supplier multinational to show the recent advances in the area of ITS in our project. Based on the presentation and interest we hope to be able to collaborate with them in the coming future in the area of ITS related topics.
- Pietro Manzoni, in collaboration with other members of the GRC group and Prof. Claudio Palazzi of the University of Padova (Italy), organized the SMARTOBJECTS workshop inside the ACM MobiCom Conference in Paris. The SMARTOBJECTS workshop focussed on experiences with the design, implementation, deployment, operation and evaluation of novel communication approaches and systems for smart objects in the emerging cooperative environments. The conference programme can be found here.
- Subhadeep Patra of the GRC group of UPV, attended the 14th International Conference on Ad-hoc, Mobile, and Wireless Networks (ADHOC-NOW 2015) held in Athens, Greece during June 29 - July 01, 2015. In the conference, he presented an ITS application for smartphones that aims to help drivers in safe overtaking. The paper was titled "EYES: A Novel Overtaking Assistance System for Vehicular Networks" and was selected for one of the special tracks of the conference on Emerging communications, networking and computing technologies for VANETs 2.0.
- The GRC group presented at the UPV innovation Fair their novel EYE architecture. EYES, which has been developed by Subhadeep Patra, Sergio M. Tornell, Carlos T. Calafate, Juan-Carlos Cano, and Pietro Manzoni is an ITS system that aims at helping drivers in overtaking. The system autonomously creates a network of the devices running EYES, and provides drivers with a video feed from the vehicles located just ahead, thus presenting a better view of any vehicles coming from the opposite direction and the road ahead. This is specially useful when the front view of the driver is blocked by large vehicles, and thus the decision about whether to overtake can be taken based on the visuals provided by the application. We have validated EYES, the proposed overtaking assistance system, in both indoor and realistic scenarios involving vehicular network, and preliminary results allow being optimistic about its effectiveness and applicability. EYE has captured the attention from the media (Radio La Ser, TV, Telecinco, Antena 3, RTVE among others.
- Officially we start the SmartCarPhone project. Good work and good luck!
- Jorge Luzuriaga (Phd student) attended the Computer Supported Cooperative Work in Design International Conference (CSCWD2015) in Falerna Marina, Calabria - Italy during May 6-8 2015. And presented the paper titled "Impact of Mobility on Mobility on Message Oriented Middleware (MOM) Protocols for Collaboration in Transportation" on Collaboration Technology Applications in Logistics and Transportation track. The nineteenth edition CSCWD was organized by the Department of Informatics, Modeling, Electronics and Systems (DIMES) of the University of Calabria (Unical). Thanks to the organizers for the good organization and support of this event.
- The SmartCarPhone project has been officially approved for
funding by The Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad.
Congratulation to all the participant in our stimulating
project. Now is time to start Working. Lets go!!!!
- Principal Researcher Carlos Tavares received a grant from the National Institute of Informatics (NII), Japan, for a short visit to the institution and delivering a seminar and a short course on Vehicular Networks. There he met Prof. Yusheng Ji, head of he Yusheng Ji Laboratory at the NII, to coordinate joint research activities.
June 21-24, 2016:
Oscar Alvear A. attended to the IEEE WoWMoM 2016 Conference in Coimbra, Portugal.
June 18, 2016:
The EcoSensor platform in the news
Diario de Navarra
Porto Canal (Portugal)
Noticias ao Minuto (Brasil)
Diario de Pontevedra
RTP Noticias (Portugal)
Diario Digital (Portugal)
Correio da Manha (Portugal)
Respira Mexico (Mexico)
March 18, 2016:
DrivingStyles gets the attention from the Telefónica Shareholders
February 17, 2016:
DrivingStyles appeared on UPV's front page & several media
February 2, 2016:
Carlos Calafate presented DrivingStyles on UPV news
January 20-22, 2016:
Carlos Calafate visited the University of Padua as invited
January 9-12, 2016:
Pietro Manzoni attended the IEEE
CCNC 2016 conference where he was the TPC vice-chair. The
CCNC conference (IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking
Conference), is sponsored by IEEE Communications Society and is a
major annual international conference organized with the objective
of bringing together researchers, developers, and practitioners
from academia and industry working in all areas of consumer
communications and networking.
December 11-13, 2015:
Carlos T. Calafate attended the MOMM 2015 conference in Brusels.
December 1-4, 2015:
PhD Annette Bohm, from Halmstad University, visited the GRC Group.
November 30th, 2015:
Juan-Carlos Cano @ Gestiona Radio
October 26-29, 2015:
Juan-Carlos Cano and Subhadeep Patra attended to the LCN 2015 Conference in ClearWater Beach, Florida, USA.
October 26, 2015:
Pietro Manzoni organised, with other researchers of the University
of Padova (Italy) GOODTECHS,
a Conference on Smart Objects and Technologies for Social Good
inside the EAI IOT360 Event
September 23-25, 2015:
The GRC Group attended to the XXVI Jornadas de Paralelismo in Cordoba.
September 8 - 11, 2015:
Jorge Luzuriaga attended to the Internet Technologies and
Applications International Conference (ITA 15)
September 9, 2015:
Juan Carlos Cano and Carlos Calafate visited a multinational
September 7, 2015:
Pietro Manzoni organised the SMARTOBJECTS
workshop inside the ACM MobiCom Conference in Paris
June 29 - July 01, 2015:
Subhadeep Patra (Phd student) attended the 14th International
Conference on Ad-hoc, Mobile, and Wireless Networks (ADHOC-NOW
June - July, 2015:
The GRC Group presented the EYE architecture at the UPV
innovations Fair 2015
Eye in the media:
May 15th, 2015:
Let's start SmartCarPhone!
May 6th - 8th, 2015:
Jorge Luzuriaga (Phd student) attended the Computer Supported
Cooperative Work in Design International Conference (CSCWD2015)
April 15th, 2015:
The SmartCarPhone project is officially approved for funding!
March 3-11, 2015:
Prof. Carlos Tavares Calafate visited the NII, Japan