1st Workshop on Experiences with the Design and Implementation of Frugal Smart Objects In conjunction with ACM MobiCom 2020 - The 26th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, September 21st, virtual (online) conference.
Frugal innovation employs a creative approach to problem solving which starts from user needs and works to develop contextually appropriate solutions that have to be scalable, durable and environmentally sustainable, while using state-of-the-art technologies and know-how.
Frugal innovation explores the introduction of emerging technologies to new populations, by developing ubiquitous computing systems, designing interaction techniques, and collecting and analyzing data.
Recent research acknowledges frugal innovation as a multi-dimensional phenomenon with three primary dimensions: product, process and context. Product dimension includes the characteristics of being simple, robust, and focuses on the core and required functionalities. Process includes, bottom-up creative process to respond to challenges, localized development and scaling options. Finally, the context dimension includes affordability aspect, resourcefulness and radical or transformative implications (European Commission, 2016).
Examples of frugal innovations uncover the facilitating role of digitization and technological advancements in developing resource efficient and sustainable solutions. Ubiquitous internet, telecommunication and technological tools such as 3-D printing, cloud computing, social media, crowdfunding are a few examples.
The FRUGALTHINGS workshop focuses on frugal innovations and the application of its goals for the design, implementation, deployment, operation and evaluation of novel approaches and systems in the emerging cooperative environments. We are therefore seeking original, previously unpublished papers empirically addressing key issues and challenges in the frugal innovation arena.
Topics of interests:
- Accessibility Through Smart Objects
- App Concepts And Technologies For Different Mobile Platforms
- Applications For Social Good
- Content Distribution
- Data Collection, Organization And Dissemination Methods
- Deployment And Field Testing
- Engineering Of Frugal Objects
- Game, Entertainment, And Multimedia Applications
- Human-object Interaction
- Location- And Track-based Services
- Middleware For Fog/edge Infrastructures
- Mobile Service Architectures And Frameworks
- Multimodal Interaction With Frugal Objects
- Novel Interaction Concepts For Frugal Objects
- Pervasive And Ubiquitous Services In Cloud And Iot
- Platforms And Frameworks For Mobile Devices
- Privacy And Trust Aspects Of Frugal Objects
- Protocol Design, Testing, And Verification
- Rural Areas Connectivity Solutions
- Security Issues, Architectures And Solutions
- Self-explanatory Smart Objects
- Sensors And Data Collection
- Smart Sensory Augmentation And Smart Spaces
- Technology And Models Required For Enabling The Interaction With Smart Objects
- User Studies And Evaluation Techniques